Friday, December 18, 2009

Arequipa bus timeline

If you haven't already, you may want to read Catching the bus to Arequipa, the tale of our hectic run across Lima to get on what should be our only overnight bus of the trip.
 
5:45 - We embark!  Noticed as we left that Lima has traffic cops (in little Inka Cola branded cylinders) to supplement their traffic lights.  Interesting.
 
6:15 - We begin watching TED talks on my sansa fuze with the splitter.  The combination was brilliant, as we were able to watch some intellectually stimulating stuff and then talk about it afterwards.  We both particularly enjoyed Mike Rowe (if "Dirty Jobs" fame)'s talk.
 
7:00 - The Peruvian panpipe music has begun to loop.  God help us all.
 
7:30 - They just handed out bingo cards.  This is going to be awesome.
 
8:00 - After a half hour of frantically attentive ears, 41 squares filled and one false bingo call (we didn't know you needed to get ALL of your numbers to win), we are now masters of the spanish numbers between 1 and 75.
 
11:30 - On my way back from the bathroom, noticed a little girl sleeping across two seats.  Her mom was sitting on the floor in from of them.  Sweetest thing I've seen in a long time.
 
12:40 - Riding through some sweet little desert canyon.  It's been several hours since dinner.
 
1:30 - We forgot our oreos in Lima.  Still been hours since dinner.
 
2:30 - Don't want to think about food right now.  Also, our bus driver is now cutting all the way into the oncoming lane during left turns.  We seem to be in good hands; I'm going to try to get some sleep.
 
5:45 - Sunrise, and about an hour's driving through a really awesome cliff-hanging section of the Pan-American Highway.  The windows were really fogged up, so I don't have any pictures, just memories.  They mentioned desayuno, but I don't see any breakfast around yet.
 
7:00 - The trash, all of the trash!  Maybe it's sleep deprivation, or the 13 hours in the bus, or the 10 days in Lima, but I can't keep my positive outlook about this right now.  There's trash all over the sides of the highways here.  It's about time I get off the coast.  I'm hoping in the less developed parts of the Andes that they will have more respect for the land.  I hate to end on a downer, but it's the truth, and it does affect me, so I should report it.  (Ed: On a positive note, I did see someone picking up trash later on the journey, and I have heard a lot of Peruvians complain about it)
 
10:47 - Arrival!  Finally!  Tomorrow we go into one of the deepest canyons in the world.  Tonight, we sleep!

No comments: