Friday, May 30, 2008

Yellowstone, Day 5: Gently drifting flakes

You have to love snow to live through a Houghton winter. My first couple of years were a honey moon with snow, but somehow in the years since I've misplaced my rose-colored glasses. Although I've recently discovered the joys of bicycling in the snow, by the end of this last winter I was just plain tired of the cold, and worried about my ability to survive the next year at Tech.

But despite becoming a lot more jaded, after a couple of weeks of good weather I was overcome today with the joy of a child when I saw the beautiful sight of whimsically falling snowflakes. Standing by the side of the road, enigmatic mountains hidden by clouds but their presence unmistakable, catching snow with our mouths as it drifted down out of the mysterious, opaque sky, I experienced the wonder of pure excitement, unfettered by the cacophony of thought.

I hope that no matter what happens as I get older, I always experience such moments of pristine emotion, rare though they may become.

No comments: